Monday, June 11, 2012

Blueberry Cream Cheese Pie

 

  Want a dish that can cool you off on those warm summer afternoons? This dish would be perfect! I can't imagine a better warm weather dish, blueberries just spell out summer and pinics for me! Plus blueberries are amazing for your health check out this link here for more information: http://www.blueberrycouncil.org/health-benefits-of-blueberries/?gclid=CNvBgcvRxrACFaNeTAody35PWA


  A little history pertaining to this recipe: I was homeschooled all through pre-school, kindergarten, elementary, middle, and high school by my wonderfully talented mom, who can multi task amazingly! ;) This gave me the opportunity to be as creative as I wished. And that creativity started to blossom in the form of cooking classes in my highschool years. I had so much fun cooking with her (btw, she has this magical sense of what tastes well together and an unceasingly creative mind. Our dinners never lack for excitement and flavor!) and learning all of her tips and tricks.

  This recipe was actually made up by lil ol' me ;) We had some blueberries sitting in the freezer, and cream cheese in the fridge. So I decided to whip something up for dinner and surprise everyone. I was so proud of myself when this came out well! And it's been a hit with everyone that I have made it for. 

  Oh and just a little reminder that if you don't like a certain part of this recipe, you can substitute it for something else. My mom does not like the bananas at the bottom of the pie so I omit that when making it for her. And my friends husband does not like any kind of nuts so I omit that in the topping when I make it for them. Have fun with this recipe and I hope that you enjoy it!

  This recipe is made in three parts, I like to make the blueberry topping first and then throw it in the fridge to chill while I make the pie. Also, the final crunchy topping I like to make ahead of time and keep in an air tight container, so that it is readily available, because I like to make this pie at a moments notice and fairly frequently.

Blueberry Pie Topping
3/4 c. sugar
4 c. blueberries
1 c. water-optional (only if the mixture seems a little thick)
3 tlbs. cornstarch (add more if the mixture is a little thin)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. grated nutmeg
2 tlbs. lemon juice-optional (the lemon gives it a really summery flavor)

(This recipe is also very nice for any type of berry that you are making, so it can be used with strawberries, etc. You can use it as a pie filling as well.)

Makes enough for two pies. Stir everything together except blueberries in a bowl. Pour blueberries into pan-medium heat on stove, stir in other ingredients. Let thicken, if too thin thicken with more cornstarch or sugar. Cool in refrigerator in bowl, set on hot pad to protect fridge.

Cream Cheese Pie
2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. confectioner sugar
1 packet of lemon or 2 slices of lemon squeezed (for bananas) optional
1 (16 oz.) whipped cream cheese container
2 packets of lemon
1 1/2 bananas sliced-optional

Makes 1 pie. Slice bananas, sprinkle with lemon juice or mix powdered lemon with water (1 packet of lemon) and then sprinkle bananas. Lay banana slices on bottom of crust. Mix vanilla, sugar, 2 packets of lemon, cream cheese together. Put cream cheese filling in pie crust (I go the easy route and buy a ready made crust. I prefer the graham cracker crust.)Chill for 2-5 hrs. Put topping on pie.

Crunchy Topping-Optional
Brown Sugar
Chopped Nuts (I use walnuts)
Grape Nut Cereal

  Crumble on top of pie.


  I realize that this seems like an awful lot of work, but once you get it down it really isn't that hard at all. The recipe is just very long! But the outcome is amazing! I never have any leftovers when I make this pie, no matter how many I make! I will leave you with these yummy blueberry pics. I hope that you try this recipe out and you enjoy it!

Adios!
Jessie Lou







2 comments:

  1. What a terrific, detailed recipe post that has my taste buds more than a little excited! :) I always love it when people share the back stories behind the recipes they post, and though I wasn't homeschooled, I also gained my culinary foundations from working (creating!) in the kitchen with my mom as a youngster.

    Thank you very much for all of your blog comments, dear gal, I really appreciate them and hope you have a beautiful week!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! I'm glad that you like the post so much! I too love knowing what the backstory is, I mean there has to be a reason why the particular recipe is dear to your heart or at the very least post worthy.

      It really is fun working in the kitchen with your mom, and I don't think that it is something that we will/or should ever grow out of. Fond memories are never forgotten.

      And you're welcome! I love reading your blog and just have to comment to let you know what I'm thinking. You have a beautiful week as well!

      Adios,
      Jessie Lou

      Delete

Howdy!
Thank you so much for commenting on The Vintage Cowgirl blog! I answer each and every comment.
If you comment and follow my blog and you are the owner of a blog I will surely follow you and comment on your blog!

Again thank you and I hope that you have a beautiful day!

Adios,
Jessie Lou