Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Vintage Tag!

~*~*~21 vintage lifestyle questions and answers~*~*~
 


Howdy!

  Decided that I would do this vintage tag along with Jessica from Chronically Vintage, it sounded like a lot of fun so I couldn't wait to do it! Thank you Jessica for reposting this from Stephanie of The Girl With The Star Spangled Heart  blog for starting this tag!





1. Who are your style icons? Hmmm....probably my mother, grandmothers, etc. I really love the fact that they are/were real life cowgirls/country girls. Plus their style is pretty darn cute ;)

2. What is your favourite way to get inspired? I look through old family photos, search online, and I love to read old magazines and catalogs. Sometimes I just day dream and my inspiration comes from those thoughts.

3. What's your most-used hair tool? Haha this one is funny, my hair is sooo curly! I don't brush it, I don't comb it, I don't straighten it, I don't "have" to curl it, I don't even use hair spray or cream. I just shower, comb, air dry, and *POOF*! It's a curly and wild mess! And I love it, no need to tame the wild country girl mane!

4. What's your favourite hair tool? When I do need my hair pulled back a bit I love to use bobby pins and combs. Especially if the combs have flowers, rhinestones etc. on them.

5. Updo, down, or half-and-half? Usually down, sometimes half and half. I have started experimenting with buns for the civil war re-enactment I do, and I love that as well.

6. Is vintage something you do every day, on weekends, or for special occasions? You will find me in vintage at church fairly often, usually vintage or repro...or just vintage inspired. I wish that I was that brave to wear vintage all of the time! I am trying so so very hard though! Eventually my dear readers, I will wear vintage and repro all of the time.

7. What's your favourite blush and lipstick? I have to say that I do have quite a bit of natural coloring so honestly I don't wear much. Pinching my cheeks and applying a little lip gloss usually does it for me. But if I am going a little further to doll up I will use a coral or red lipstick and then dab a little on my cheeks and rub it in. My mother has been doing that since she started wearing makeup, and my grandmother has been doing it since she started wearing makeup in the early 1950's.

8. Dress, skirt, or pants? Heels or flats? Oh definately a skirt! I love skirts! And with boots its a perfect combination ;) if I'm not wearing boots then heels are my choice for sure.

9. Off-the-rack or homemade? I usually wear off the rack...not by choice though. I would love to make my own cltothes or have the availability of a dressmaker to make them for me. I do own some handmade pieces that I have thrifted though. And the quality seems to be so much better than the off the rack type.

10. Do you swing dance? Yes! Mainly country/western swing though. In high school I did some of your typical swing dancing, but the country/western style is what really caught my eye. But I enjoy either one, what appeals to me about both is the idea that you can improvise and create your own steps! 

11. Extreme vintage or subtle touches? I simply adore extreme vintage! But as I said previously, I just can't call myself to do it as of yet. It's hard to know what people will think of you. As a fairly sensitive but also willful child I always found myself battling inside (as I still do) as to who I was and how I feel about certain things in the public eye. My willful and stubborn side says that I simply don't care what others think, I enjoy vintage so why not wear it? But at the same time my more sensitive and somewhat shy side does not care for the odd looks that I attract from strangers, and just wishes that everyone was able to embrace it. Some days one side wins, and some days the other side wins. And most often both sides meld into one creating a comfortable mixture of both vintage and modern, and the result being something that I feel others can handle.

12. Favourite perfume? I love anything tropical. Mainly vanilla, coconut, etc. I do love lilac and rose a lot though! As far as perfume goes I have to say that I wear the Annie Oakley line the most. It has somewhat of a vintage cowgirl vibe to it.

13. Favourite skincare product? I don't know if this will surprise you or not, but just like the makeup I don't do much to my skin. I have had all kinds of acne problems in the past 10 years or so. But now my face is clearing up. I attribute that greatly to the Texas climate. Right now if I do need something to cleanse my face I use white sugar mixed with honey as a scrub, rinse with cold water. And then for a moisturizer, if I need it (I have very oily sensitive skin), I use Burt's Bees Honey and Milk lotion. It smells amazing and it makes my skin glow! I wash my face at night and apply the lotion before I head to bed.

14. What does your family think of your style? They are very supportive, they tend to even help me shop for my little country/vintage accessories and clothes. Every once in a while they look at me side ways wondering what I'm thinking. But usually I get positive feed back.

15. Favourite accessory? Hmmm.....do my boots count? I wear them all the time! Usually you will see me with a belt on, boots, turquoise jewelry, and my claudagh ring...and that's with almost anything that I wear!

16. Do you find the vintage community welcoming or snobby? Oh my they have been amazingly sweet and welcoming!

17. What drew you to vintage style? I've always loved it, I just never knew until a few years ago that you really could dress like that everyday...I mean, why not?!

18. Favourite places to shop vintage? I love estate sales and thrift stores. There is the occasional garage sale as well.

19. What vintage eras are your favourite? Oh that's a tough one! I guess I will have to name a few. The 1800's, 1900's, I LOVE the Victorian era, 1930's, 1940's, and the 1950's.

20. Most glamorous film stars? Dale Evans, Dorothy Lamour, Elizabeth Taylor, Barbera Stanwyck, Doris Day, Lucille Ball, etc. Too many to name!

21. Favourite vintage object that you own? Oh my, another toughy. I have a 1950's circle skirt dress that's handmade, and has a brown flower print on it. I will have to post a photo when I can! My camera is being a little screwy...and I just don't have a tri-pod or a willing photographer nearby.

Well, I had a good time with that! Hope that ya'll with pass this vintage tag along as well!

Adios!
Jessie Lou

1 comment:

  1. Awww, Jessie, I just love that you opted to play along with this fun vintage tag game, too. Thanks! Adore your answers and that I learned even more about your passion for the past. (Boots can definitely count as your favourite accessory!)

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Howdy!
Thank you so much for commenting on The Vintage Cowgirl blog! I answer each and every comment.
If you comment and follow my blog and you are the owner of a blog I will surely follow you and comment on your blog!

Again thank you and I hope that you have a beautiful day!

Adios,
Jessie Lou