Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Guest Writer #2-Elvira: Introduction

Hey ya'll!

 The next Guest Writer for The Vintage Cowgirl is none other than my own country lovin', gun totin, cowboy and cowgirl raisin' mama! ;) Not to mention all of the other cool things she does!


Mom with one of my lemon trees.


Mom with my grandmother, grandfather, and some friends on her horse Tiny.
Another pic of Elvira with her horse Tiny. She will be writing about that experience at a future date!

 
Mom at 8 years old with some chicks that she won at a costume contest for Halloween, she was Cleopatra.

Mom with Spider


Mom with Spider and a neighbor dog. Spider's resume included but was not limited to these accomplishments: she could jump on a chair and put her paws on the back of the chair and pray. She could jump over several chairs....like five lined up in a row, she would jump the first, then the second, then the third, etc. She was taught to pray before meals. She pulled kids in a wagon. She would stand on her hind legs and beg. She would sit, lay down and roll over. She could also  roll trash cans. Mom talked to Frank Inn ("Benji the dogs" owner and trainer) about how to train dogs.

 
 
Mom and Dad! Aka: Elvira and Kelly







 
Bloom Where God Plants You!!

   So, you live in the city? On a postage stamp piece of property? But, you love the idea of wiggling your toes in dirt, working with plants and romping with animals? Do you fancy yourself breaking away from all of the hum drum city lights, horns, traffic, fast food, gang attitude, disparaging news and feeling cooped up in your house of four walls? Then, break away to who you really want to be! Yes, “someday” you may want to live in the country, own land, grow your own food and have your own horses. But, until then, work towards your goal & bloom where God planted you.

  
My story…born in a little country town (at the time) in North San Diego County…parents moved to L.A. I lived there in the big city when I was little, but every weekend or so, we would take a drive to the country…back down to near where I was born & enjoy it. We moved down to a little town called Bonsall for about a yr. Then, due to job & finances, moved back to L.A. This happened when I was just 8yrs old & I told my Mom, “If you can’t find me one day, I’ll be walking until I get to the country again. You will find me sitting in a field somewhere…most likely where there are some horses.” Mind you, that was me at 8! We eventually moved back down to North San Diego County, where I graduated from High School & went to college. My Dad was a business man, but many of my friends lived on ranches…that’s where you’d find me. Although, many things worked in my life to have me end up working as a Sound Engineer and being in many facets of the business world.

  
I met & married my hubby of now 32yrs and HE was a country boy…straight from Colorado with family who had a decidedly southern flair, being that his folks came from southern states. He was the answer to my prayers in many ways. We didn’t have a lot of money, so I wasn’t able to go full scale, but I began to be able to do those things I loved…living a country life. The simple life. They say it’s simple, but it’s not easy, it’s hard work, but relaxing and enjoyable work. My dear cousin coined it very well, “He facilitates all you ever wanted to do & to be”. Truer words were never spoken!

 
  The word from me this week is all about “Blooming Where God Plants You”. This means if you love to garden but you are in an apartment, saving for a house with a yard…plant container gardens. Or, instead of just cooking, learn to can your own food or learn about dry storage. If you can’t have chickens in your yard, see if you can raise rabbits. Basically, start out learning what you can & becoming just as COUNTRY as your surroundings will allow. Before we had land to have horses on, we went to Poway Stables & rode. We went out to a shooting range in the back country & target practiced. When I was working & didn’t have time for a garden, I had an orchard. When I couldn’t do much of anything else, I learned how to can, cold pack & cook everything from scratch. There are many ways to get that “country” feel into your life. Country crafts are awesome as well, whatever works for you, to help you to feel down home & country…do just that. Meanwhile, as you progress, you can work yourself into all sorts of things. If you are able to get up a good sized backyard and have just a tad bit of zoning freedom (say allowed a chicken or two) then, start with that.

  
You may not have 1,000 acres for a ranch, but who says you can’t start one on 5 acres? Really…is there a rule? No…it’s where ever God places you & whatever He places in your heart. How much imagination do you have? How country do you want to be? What is God speaking to you as to how to do this? He gives you what you need for that particular time in your life. In the words of Easton Corbin…ROLL WITH IT!!


God Bless & meet y’all where the horses bend the grass!
Elvira
 


1 comment:

  1. LOVE the pictures! And...were you looking at a picture of ME when you wrote this???? Country girl wrapped in a suburban mom's body!

    ReplyDelete

Howdy!
Thank you so much for commenting on The Vintage Cowgirl blog! I answer each and every comment.
If you comment and follow my blog and you are the owner of a blog I will surely follow you and comment on your blog!

Again thank you and I hope that you have a beautiful day!

Adios,
Jessie Lou