Friday, December 27, 2013

Diary of an Illinois Farmer-Dec. 27, 1942

 
 
 
Diary of an Illinois Farmer
December 27, 1942
 
Has rained almost constantly since yesterday morning. Creeks all out of their banks and lowlands flooded-very unusual for this time of the year. Not so good for belated soybean harvest. Many fields in this locality have not been combined. Not enough machines available in October; November the second wettest in 53 years; and snow has covered the crop this month. Today Judy initiated new waffle iron-our Christmas present from Ruth and John. Jane writing long letter to pen-pal in South Africa.
 
by
John Perry Hanna II
 
 
I find it so entertaining reading this book, I thrifted it along with a ton of other books years ago, although I forget to read along with his writing. I'm glad that he showed more initiative in the writing of his daily diary then I do in the daily reading of it! I think that the diaries of farmers and ranchers are very valuable items, wish that we could find more like this out there. I've always wanted to know the experiences of those that have gone before me,
I feel that the first hand knowledge is better than anything that I would read in a book from a college, institution, etc. What do you think?
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy!
Thank you so much for commenting on The Vintage Cowgirl blog! I answer each and every comment.
If you comment and follow my blog and you are the owner of a blog I will surely follow you and comment on your blog!

Again thank you and I hope that you have a beautiful day!

Adios,
Jessie Lou