Wednesday, October 10, 2012

4H Horse Classifications

Hola my dear friends and readers!

  I was going through some of my old paperwork for 4H and found some things that you might enjoy. Here are some horse classifications. This might help you if you are ever talking to a horsie person, why not be able to join in on the conversation? Or if you just enjoy horses then read on!

 All excerpts from the 4-H HORSE PROJECT MA1500E Member's Manual, Colorado State University Extension. I do not own anything.

HORSE CLASSIFICATIONS

Stock Horse:
  These horses are short-coupled, deep bodied and well muscled. They were developed to work cattle and often compete in rodeos. Quarter horse, Appaloosa, Arabian, Paint, Morgan or POA usually predominate stock horse breeds. Their easy-going gaits are the walk, jog, and lope.

Ponies:
  Ponies are small horses less than 14.2 hands in height at maturity. Most common are the Shetland and the medium-sized Welsh pony. These two breeds often are crossed with Arabians, Morgans, and other breeds of light horses to produce larger, more spirited ponies. The POA is the result of cross breeding an Appaloosa with a Shetland. Hackney ponies are noted for their high-trotting action and light carriage use.

Gaited Horses:
  These horses have a unique gait that results in a smooth and comfortable ride. Each breed has a specific synchronous lateral gait that is characteristic to the breed. Some gaited breeds are Paso Fino, Peruvian Paso, Tennessee Walking Horse, Missouri Fox Trotter, and Rocky Mountain Horse.

Registered:
  These are horses belonging to a specific breed with regristration papers documenting the horse's ancestors. Some registered breeds are considered purebreds. Other breeds of horses have open registries.

Crossbred:
  A crossbred is a horse that combines the characteristics of two or more horse breeds.

Color Breeds:
  These are breeds of horses that are bred for their coat colors or markings. Some color breeds are Pintos, Paints, Palominos, and Buckskins. These horses can sometimes be registered with more than one association.


My horse Babe. She is an Egyptian Arabian and what a horse! I've grown up riding her, I'm her's and she is mine. <3

 
I hope ya'll enjoyed this! More to come soon.....
 
Adios!
Jessie Lou
 
 

 

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful introduction to horse classifications. Though I'm by no means an expert in this field myself, I bet my husband would fall under that heading, as his father worked for a race track in Italy and Tony spent much of his youth there, too, often helping out with the care and grooming of the horses, too.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool! I was going to ask you if your husband was Italian because of your last name. I am part Italian and actually have some relatives in Canada.

      I'm glad that you liked the post, I would have loved to visit that race track btw!

      Jessie Lou

      Delete

Howdy!
Thank you so much for commenting on The Vintage Cowgirl blog! I answer each and every comment.
If you comment and follow my blog and you are the owner of a blog I will surely follow you and comment on your blog!

Again thank you and I hope that you have a beautiful day!

Adios,
Jessie Lou