Friday, September 7, 2012

And what's wrong with being Curvy?

  Ok, so I'm wondering, what's wrong with being curvy? It seems the past 5 years I've been reading in magazines (most recently Redbook this morning at the doc's office) and heard on television that wearing this or wearing that can help hide your curves. Why?! And they aren't showing unhealthily "curvy" women, their models are beautiful young women with curves....so why in this day and age are we trying to hide our curves? Young or not, over weight or not. Why are they making it sound like it's something to hide?

  I often feel that I should have been born in a different time, say the 1950's? When women weren't ashamed of their figures. Curves are often seen as womanly, and feminine. What most women strive for. This is seen in the fashion industry during the 1950's, where the hourglass silhouette was desired and achieved. Having a petite hourglass figure (petite as in I'm only 5'1") I've always struggled with finding clothing that fits my body since nothing is made for us curvy girls...especially if you are petite!

  I'm all for women being happy with their shape and knowing how to dress to be their most attractive and happy self (because when you like how you look you are automatically happy!). So why do we have to bash each other? Or follow the "trend"? I mean, come on! I can't change my body shape to fit the newest "in" shape, and I wouldn't want to. Being healthy is one thing, if your being over or under weight is effecting your health then by all means exercise and change your food choices. But, lets not diet or gain weight to match the newest fad. And ladies, let's not feel guilty or depressed if we don't have a shape like everyone else, or some celebrity. Be happy with you...there isn't anyone else like you out there honey ;) so love who you are and take care of yourself.

  I'm sorry that ya'll had to hear my rant. But hey! What's a blog for, right? ;) Here are some inspirational pics for all of ya'll with curves like me. Enjoy!

Adios!
Jessie Lou


 

 

 






 

 

5 comments:

  1. Fantastic post - it's not a rant at all. While I firmly believe that beauty (and self-confidence) comes in all shapes and sizes, I wholeheartedly agree that there is absolutely nothing wrong with a woman embracing her curves.

    I'm short (5'2") and super curvy (hourglass) and have never tried to mask this fact. I don't wear skintight clothes and flaunt it of course (a degree of modesty is a must in all I wear), but I don't attempt to hide or downplay my curves either. I feel blessed that I have a (stereotypically) feminine form and love how it makes certain garments look on me.

    Are there days when I think it would be nice to look like a lithe (modern) Hollywood starlet? Sure, but they're the minority compared to how often I feel grateful to have a body that's very womanly - flesh, curves and all!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on not flaunting curves, and wearing things that are skintight. I'm very modest myself, and on a side note those were the most modest pics that I could find on the internet of 1950's movies stars. ;) It wasn't easy!

      As far as modern day movie stars I think that as a teenager all I had wanted mainly were long legs....but when I stopped growing at 5'1" I realized that will never happen! lol But now I am happy with who I am, and my hourglass figure.

      I'm loving vintage clothing because they fit more of what the "real" woman is vs. the runway model. So I guess this is not only a post for curvy women but for the "real" woman, we are all shapes and sizes and Hollywood and Modern Fashion Designers can deal with it ;) heehee! Thank you for your lovely comment my dear!

      Adios,
      Jessie Lou

      Delete
  2. Yes...those pics were a bit revealing...but I understand...it's more for us ladies to see the curves & realize it's not ugly and it shouldn't mean you're obese which is the light the media puts it in, to have a more feminine form...it's very attractive. I agree, we like to keep it more undercover in public, but who wouldn't mind dressing this way for their husbands...hmmm? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they were, they were the only ones that I could find. But since it is mainly women that I am talking to I figured they were modest enough to make my point.

      And you hit it right on the head Mom! The media is what we are fighting here!

      Delete
  3. Just changed out the photos. I finally found some that were more modest yippee!

    ReplyDelete

Howdy!
Thank you so much for commenting on The Vintage Cowgirl blog! I answer each and every comment.
If you comment and follow my blog and you are the owner of a blog I will surely follow you and comment on your blog!

Again thank you and I hope that you have a beautiful day!

Adios,
Jessie Lou